Nail fungus can cause a lot of trouble not only to the infected person, but also to his loved ones. The disease spreads through personal contact and general household conditions. This fact means only one thing - the fungus should be treated, and the measures should be comprehensive: if the problem appeared on the nails, then it will also appear on the skin of the legs. In addition, topical therapies must be combined with oral medications. This is the only way to beat the disease at home.
Preparations and Precautions
Nail fungus (onychomycosis) is a disease caused by fungi - dermatophytes, microspores, etc. , so it is very important to consult a doctor at the first symptoms. After the examination, the doctor may order additional tests to confirm the diagnosis and choose effective treatment. If you also want to use folk remedies, you need to discuss them with your doctor. Consulting an expert will enable you to deal with the problem effectively and safely.
It is important to use medications according to your doctor's instructions and recommendations, as some medications can have negative results when they come in contact with the skin.
If you or someone in your family has onychomycosis, you must pay special attention to hygiene so that it does not spread to someone who is still healthy.
Why this fungus and its species
Fungi have small spores and live where people live. There are about 70, 000 known species of fungi, but those that cause disease are the most dangerous.
How can it be proven that one person is healthy and another is "infected" with the fungus? This can happen for the following reasons:
- Cuts, scrapes, calluses on the legs.
- Violation of personal hygiene.
- Body defense decreased.
- Excessive sweating of the feet (hyperhidrosis).
The type of fungus hitting the nail plate can only be determined by a dermatologist after passing tests. It is sometimes possible to tell which species are causing the disease by visual inspection:
- Dermatophytes. Lesions appear as yellowish spots or streaks. The progressive phase is characterized by the acquisition of brighter shades and the failure of the entire plate.
- yeast. They affect the color and structure of the nail folds, causing inflammation and suppuration.
- Moldy. They don't penetrate very deep and come in black and black spots.
It is worth noting that the more severe the lesion, the more pronounced the signs and symptoms of the fungus.
Symptoms and signs of damage
Successful treatment directly depends on correct and timely diagnosis. If you pay attention to yourself, be sure to pay attention to the manifestations of fungus on your toenails. The following signs and symptoms should raise alarm:
- Change the color of the plates. The color may indicate the type of fungus causing the disease. You may notice yellow, gray, black, green, and blue spots or streaks on your nails.
- Changes in nail density. If you notice thinning or thickening of your nails, you need to see a doctor.
- Itching and burning. Occurs systematically and causes discomfort.
- Violation of plate integrity. Nails may crack. Also, dry skin on the heel indicates a fungal infection.
Due to the effect of the mycotoxin on the skin and nails, there can be an unpleasant sensation, so the sooner you see your doctor and start treatment, the sooner you will fully recover. If the fungus is not treated, you may lose the nail or several nail plates entirely. Additionally, toxins can poison the body and trigger eczema.
Effective Civilian Struggle Methods
Folk methods will help to get rid of the fungus, especially in the initial stages. I introduce the most common recipes for fighting diseases.
For bathing. The preparation procedure is simple: take 5 liters of 50-degree water, add 9% acetic acid, and place the feet in the container. The procedure lasts 15 minutes, after which the feet are dried and cotton socks are put on.
First, steam the feet in a soda bath, then remove the damaged areas of the nail plate. Next, apply a cotton swab with hydrogen peroxide to the nail and cover it with polyethylene. Such compression should be maintained for an hour. The procedure is performed twice a day.
Platinum manicure is coated with iodine twice a day. You can also add 3 liters of water and 2 teaspoons of iodine to the bath.
Propolis has an antifungal effect on leg skin and nail plates when used in tinctures and as part of ointments and baths. Add one tablespoon of propolis to a pot of water. After the procedure, you can apply the drug to the lesion for half an hour.
Potassium Permanganate and Vinegar
Baths with potassium permanganate and vinegar also have a good effect on fungi. To prepare the product, add one liter of vinegar and a little potassium permanganate to 3 liters of water. The course of treatment is 7 days.
Test for allergies by rubbing some oil on your wrist. If there are no strange signs after 12 hours, you can take medicine to fight the fungus. The most effective option is tea tree oil. You need 5 drops of oil per liter of liquid. After the cleansing procedure, apply the extract itself on the nail plate.
- Sage and mint. Can be taken orally as a tea or used in the bath. The infusion is drunk throughout the day, and the bath is done before going to bed.
- calamus root. For 250ml of water, take 15g of chopped root. This decoction helps to fight many kinds of infections. Drink for a month.
- Japanese Sophora. It has become an effective tool for boosting immunity, helping to normalize the functioning of internal organs. To make a tincture, take 0. 5 vodka and add 50 grams of sophora berries. Take one teaspoon before meals. Course - 2 months.
- oak bark. It has an adverse effect on mold and helps to get rid of fungus. The bath is prepared as follows: mix 1 liter of liquid with 5 tbsp. tablespoon bark and boil for 20 minutes. Use it for bathing when the soup temperature reaches 40 degrees. The duration of the process is 20 minutes.
Sold as an ointment. You can buy 10% or 30% of the drug to achieve the effect. It must be used after the bedtime water program. Affected nails are covered with ointment.
Apply a small amount to the affected nail and secure with a bandage. In the morning, remove the bandage, wash the nails with warm water, cut off the damaged areas, and treat the fingers with hydrogen peroxide.
Compresses and Tinctures
- garlic. To treat toenail fungus, you can use gruel from the plant. It needs to be cooked every night and applied for 40 minutes.
- Rowan leaves. Grind and apply overnight.
- thyme. Tinctures are prepared from the dried plant. Requires 100g thyme and 2 liters of water. You need to steam your legs every day until you recover.
- lilac. Tinctures also help eliminate fungus. 10 grams of cloves are needed for 100 ml of alcohol. Lubricate the affected area until the problem disappears completely.
Pharmaceutical preparations and creams
When fungal symptoms appear, topical treatment should be started as soon as possible. For this, ointments, varnishes, drops will be used.
Tablets will also help in getting the most out of the fight against the disease. They are combined with external preparations. In pharmacies, you can buy products of various price points and strengths.
removal of the affected nail
Removal of the affected nail was also used, but is already in a critical condition.
- Chemical. Performed in a dermatology office. The duration of the process is 15 minutes. The doctor removes the cuticles with a special nail file and scalpel. The doctor then treats the entire surface of the feet and nails with an antiseptic, and then applies an ointment. Apply sterile material on it, and bandage the affected finger. After 4 days, the areas were disinfected with an antiseptic and treated with an antifungal agent.
- Mechanical. A mycologist or dermatologist removes the affected nail using special equipment. Before and after the procedure, the foot is treated with an antiseptic solution.
- surgical. It is considered obsolete in medical practice. The operation is performed by a surgeon. The patient is given local anesthesia with a solution of lidocaine. After taking it out, treat the wound with hydrogen peroxide, apply a disinfectant ointment, wrap it with a sterile bandage, and then fix it with a bandage. At night, the fingers must be soaked in salt water. Bandaging is performed in the clinic.
What's the best way to treat advanced foot fungus?
One of the modern methods of getting rid of fungus on the feet and nails is laser therapy. This technology is used in cases where traditional topical treatments and oral formulations have failed. The advantages of this process are very impressive:
- no side effects;
But laser mildew removal also has contraindications:
- There is an acute inflammatory process.
- Violation of the function of internal organs.
- pregnancy and breastfeeding.
- The presence of skin diseases.
- tumor disease.
- Chemical peels.
The preparation for laser exposure is as follows: steam the damaged nail and cut as much as possible. Take the test beforehand. Treatment time is approximately 6 procedures.
Features of fungal therapy during pregnancy
The treatment of fungi during childbearing has its own characteristics. It is necessary to take into account that pregnancy imposes many restrictions on the expecting mother, therefore, when eliminating problems, only topical preparations are used.
A therapeutic varnish is recommended. First and foremost, expectant mothers should consult with their physicians for a definitive diagnosis and advice on upcoming treatments.
If a pregnant woman has previously suffered from fungus, it should be prevented so that the condition does not worsen during this critical period.
Doctor's Opinions and Reviews on Family Therapy
Toenail fungus is a medical problem that should be managed with a qualified professional. It is very important to see a doctor in time for a clear diagnosis, which also highlights the precautions when going to public baths and saunas, swimming pools, and hotel showers. It is these places that often become the source of infection.
Self-treatment after self-diagnosis can make the situation worse, especially given that some fungi are resistant to certain drugs, according to experts. Only the right treatment can ensure quick recovery and long-lasting results.
Before pregnant women began to use folk remedies and bought drugs in pharmacies, doctors focused on obligatory visits to specialists for expectant patients.
Prevents the emergence of fungi
The appearance of nail fungus can only be avoided with systematic prevention. The following measures will help to achieve good results:
- Wash your feet with soap every day.
- Use an antiseptic in the form of a spray or talcum powder.
- Dry wet shoes thoroughly.
- If you go to a public bath, swimming pool, please bring personal hygiene products and a change of shoes.
- Treat manicure sets regularly with an antiseptic.
Following these simple guidelines will help prevent foot and nail fungus.
Your health depends entirely on your personal relationship with your body. If you have had fungus in the past or experience unusual symptoms, see your doctor to confirm or refute the diagnosis.
Pay close attention to the appearance of itching, peeling, changes in the structure and color of the nail plate, and spots or streaks on the feet. This allows not only to identify the disease, but also to deal with it effectively. But the advanced stages of the fungus not only cause additional discomfort, but also negatively affect the health of the entire organism. Plus, there's the aesthetic side: Affected nails eventually fade, peel off, and legs can smell bad.